-   -   Pasting (replacing) problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/60121-pasting-replacing-problem.html)

berti

Pasting (replacing) problem

Hi!
How can I prevent changing all my "01/1" to "1.jan" (or to "38353")
when copying tables from Word to Excel or when running Find/Replace
tool.

The only way I can get those "01/1" is to select text format of a cell
and type it manually.

But I have thousands of "01/1" (01/2, 01/3 ... 02/1, 02/2 ...)
cells.

Any idea?

--
berti
berti's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29597

Niek Otten

Pasting (replacing) problem

Format the receiving cells as text before you paste. Use Paste special,
click Text

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"berti" wrote in
message ...

Hi!
How can I prevent changing all my "01/1" to "1.jan" (or to "38353")
when copying tables from Word to Excel or when running Find/Replace
tool.

The only way I can get those "01/1" is to select text format of a cell
and type it manually.

But I have thousands of "01/1" (01/2, 01/3 ... 02/1, 02/2 ...)
cells.

Any idea?

--
berti
berti's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=492987

berti

Pasting (replacing) problem

Ok, that aswers my question, but ..
what if I would like to keep the same format as it was in Word?
I mean, with this solution I get unformatted text in one column and
then have to use Text import wizard to get columns
with a tab delimiter (and again forse the columns with 01/1 to text
format)
and then put borders around them.

Thanks,
Berti

--
berti
berti's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29597
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=492987

Niek Otten

Pasting (replacing) problem

Paste special as Microsoft Office Word document object

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"berti" wrote in
message ...

Ok, that aswers my question, but ..
what if I would like to keep the same format as it was in Word?
I mean, with this solution I get unformatted text in one column and
then have to use Text import wizard to get columns
with a tab delimiter (and again forse the columns with 01/1 to text
format)
and then put borders around them.

Thanks,
Berti

--
berti
berti's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=492987

berti

Pasting (replacing) problem

Yes, that is true, but it doean't help me, cause then I don't
have cells, just one object!

My problem is that a have lots of tables made in Word
but now i would like to do sth. with their data in Excel.

It seems that a best solution would be to replace / with e.g. \.
In my case 01/1 means round/location so changing it to \ won't
damage anything.

I have the same problem with ":".
2:0 should represent a result (score) in my table, but gets converted
to 2:00, time!

Maybe I can disable this automatic formatting somwhere?

Regards,
Berti