-   -   VLOOKUP - is it possible to... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/59784-vlookup-possible.html)

Adam Kroger

VLOOKUP - is it possible to...

Using '97

Is it possible to , for lack of a better term, do a "nested" lookup without
having to name every possible range?

Monday
Hours
Fred 20
Joe 27
Tuesday
Hours
Fred 30
Joe 35
Wednesday
Hours
Fred 20
Joe 28
Thursday
Hours
Fred 28
Joe 27
Friday
Hours
Fred 39
Joe 37

I want to be able to return the numbers of hours for Fred on Thursday,
without having to name ranged for each day of the week.

The actual problem I am working through involves many more factors of
course, but that is the bare bones. I hope the formatting comes through

Thanks in advance.

Bob Phillips

VLOOKUP - is it possible to...

=INDEX(INDIRECT("C"&MATCH("Thursday",A:A,0)&":C100 0"),MATCH("Fred",INDIRECT(
"B"&MATCH("Thursday",A:A,0)&":B1000"),0))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com" <adam_kroger<nospam wrote in message
[...]