-   -   How to extract just the Column Name of the active cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/59451-how-extract-just-column-name-active-cell.html)

Fred

How to extract just the Column Name of the active cell

Hello,
Does anyone know how to extract only the Column Name of an active cell in
another cell. e.g. If active cell is D4 then I want the "D" to be extract and
displayed in another cell say A1. Let me know.

Regards,
Fred

Bob Phillips

How to extract just the Column Name of the active cell

Debug.Print ColumnLetter(activecell.Column)

'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Function ColumnLetter(Col As Long)
'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dim sColumn As String
On Error Resume Next
sColumn = Split(Columns(Col).Address(, False), ":")(1)
On Error GoTo 0
ColumnLetter = sColumn
End Function

--

HTH

RP

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,
Does anyone know how to extract only the Column Name of an active cell

in
another cell. e.g. If active cell is D4 then I want the "D" to be extract

and
displayed in another cell say A1. Let me know.

Regards,
Fred

David Billigmeier

How to extract just the Column Name of the active cell

Not the best to look at, but it will work:

=LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(CELL("address"),"$",""),IF(ISNUMB ER(--(MID(SUBSTITUTE(CELL("address"),"$",""),2,1))),1,2 ))

Dave

"Fred" wrote:

Hello,
Does anyone know how to extract only the Column Name of an active cell in
another cell. e.g. If active cell is D4 then I want the "D" to be extract and
displayed in another cell say A1. Let me know.

Regards,
Fred

Ron de Bruin

How to extract just the Column Name of the active cell

Hi Fred

You must use a event for this in the sheet module

Try this

If Target.Column 26 Then
Range("A1").Value = Left(Cells(Target.Row, Target.Column).Address(False, False), 2)
Else
Range("A1").Value = Left(Cells(Target.Row, Target.Column).Address(False, False), 1)

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Fred" wrote in message ...
Hello,
Does anyone know how to extract only the Column Name of an active cell in
another cell. e.g. If active cell is D4 then I want the "D" to be extract and
displayed in another cell say A1. Let me know.

Regards,
Fred

Duke Carey

How to extract just the Column Name of the active cell

It doesn't update very well, but...

=CHAR(CELL("col")+64)