-   -   Collapsing columns in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/58911-collapsing-columns-excel.html)

Steve Paget

Collapsing columns in Excel?

I am using Excel XP 2003.

Excel's subtotals feature lets you collapse rows and show summary data. It
displays little "plus" and "minus" buttons to show or hide the extra rows.

I'm sure I have seen a spreadsheet where this same technique has been
applied to columns, but I cannot find out how to do it.

I'm creating a spreadsheet where I have a bunch of data about pupils in a
school. At the end of each year they take 11 exams, and I would like to store
all the grades in separate columns for each subject, but I would like to
collapse them down to display an average for the year.

Is this possible?

Bob Phillips

Collapsing columns in Excel?

Yes, just select the columns, and go to DataGroup And OutlineGroup.

--

HTH

RP

"Steve Paget" wrote in message
I am using Excel XP 2003.

Excel's subtotals feature lets you collapse rows and show summary data. It
displays little "plus" and "minus" buttons to show or hide the extra rows.

I'm sure I have seen a spreadsheet where this same technique has been
applied to columns, but I cannot find out how to do it.

I'm creating a spreadsheet where I have a bunch of data about pupils in a
school. At the end of each year they take 11 exams, and I would like to

store
all the grades in separate columns for each subject, but I would like to
collapse them down to display an average for the year.

Is this possible?

Steve Paget

Collapsing columns in Excel?

Of course! Thanks.