-   -   Stop next cell being selected on Enter (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/58884-stop-next-cell-being-selected-enter.html)

Ken G.

Stop next cell being selected on Enter

I have a sheet which has only 3 input cells, but only one input cell is
required for a user in a given state. I've disabled the "move selection after
enter" function in tools/option/edit and when they enter a value and press
enter the active cell stays the same - which is what I want.

When I protect the sheet, the active cell jumps to the next unprotected
cell. How can I stop it doing that?

Jeff Stevens

Stop next cell being selected on Enter

I don't know why Excel reacts this way, but when the worksheet is protected,
make sure that the user is allowed to select both locked and unlocked cells.
They still won't be able to make changes to the locked cells, but this will
prevent the cursor from moving.

"Ken G." wrote in message
I have a sheet which has only 3 input cells, but only one input cell is
required for a user in a given state. I've disabled the "move selection

after
enter" function in tools/option/edit and when they enter a value and press
enter the active cell stays the same - which is what I want.

When I protect the sheet, the active cell jumps to the next unprotected
cell. How can I stop it doing that?

Ken G.

Stop next cell being selected on Enter

OK thanks Jeff, that works, but I've just realised that disabling the "move
to after enter" doesn't live in the particular worksheet but is saved as a
global preference - not really a good idea.

I'll see if I can come up with a macro to stay in the same cell after enter
- or of course anyone else feel free to beat me to it.