-   -   Transferring cell content between workbooks using cell references (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/584-re-transferring-cell-content-between-workbooks-using-cell-references.html)

Kiwi Mike

Transferring cell content between workbooks using cell references

Gromit wrote in message ...
Hi

Assuming your list is in column A, type "[workbook.xls]worksheet!" in
cell b1 and =INDIRECT(b$1 & a1) in cell c1.

Then drag down cell c1 to fill in the correct references.

Gromit

I see where you're coming from and I've tried it but its returned the
#REF error. Not sure why as the formula seems to be the one I'm
looking for. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Mike

Gord Dibben

Do you have both workbooks open?

If the referenced workbook is closed, then =INDIRECT() won't work.

Harlan Grove wrote a UDF that allows you to retrieve values from a closed
workbook when you build that string that points at the
drive/folder/filename/sheetname/range address.

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=sH...wsranger. com

And more here for alternatives from Harlan and Frank Kabel.........

http://snipurl.com/awej

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 25 Nov 2004 17:04:57 -0800, (Kiwi Mike) wrote:

Gromit wrote in message ...
Hi

Assuming your list is in column A, type "[workbook.xls]worksheet!" in
cell b1 and =INDIRECT(b$1 & a1) in cell c1.

Then drag down cell c1 to fill in the correct references.

Gromit

I see where you're coming from and I've tried it but its returned the
#REF error. Not sure why as the formula seems to be the one I'm
looking for. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Mike

Kiwi Mike

Hi Gord

I do have the referenced workbook open but I still seem to get that
error. The referenced workbook is shared - I'm not sure if that would
complicate matters. Thanks for the effort.

Mike