-   -   Help (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/57736-help.html)

rjc_29

Help

I am trying to create a spreadsheet where data is inputted but the
content of certain columns is restricted to certain text values which
can be selected by the inputter. For example:
column A:
ES, EW, EE, SH, SR

Column B:
Yes or NO

Column C:
Crime, Evidence, Drugs or Other

The column names are just as examples. Does anyone know how this can
be done?

--
rjc_29
rjc_29's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3475

Ron Coderre

Help

It seems like you need to use Data Validation.

Check Debra Dalgleish's site:

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"rjc_29" wrote:

I am trying to create a spreadsheet where data is inputted but the
content of certain columns is restricted to certain text values which
can be selected by the inputter. For example:
column A:
ES, EW, EE, SH, SR

Column B:
Yes or NO

Column C:
Crime, Evidence, Drugs or Other

The column names are just as examples. Does anyone know how this can
be done?

--
rjc_29
rjc_29's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3475
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=489071

dlw

Help

Look under Data / Validation...

"rjc_29" wrote:

I am trying to create a spreadsheet where data is inputted but the
content of certain columns is restricted to certain text values which
can be selected by the inputter. For example:
column A:
ES, EW, EE, SH, SR

Column B:
Yes or NO

Column C:
Crime, Evidence, Drugs or Other

The column names are just as examples. Does anyone know how this can
be done?

--
rjc_29
rjc_29's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3475
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=489071

Peter Ellis

Help

Try Data menu | Validation. You can use this to restrict values in selected
cells. Be sure to select properly. Add column labels describing the data,
then select the entire column before running the menu option to ensure the
restrictions apply to all cells in that column.

"rjc_29" wrote:

I am trying to create a spreadsheet where data is inputted but the
content of certain columns is restricted to certain text values which
can be selected by the inputter. For example:
column A:
ES, EW, EE, SH, SR

Column B:
Yes or NO

Column C:
Crime, Evidence, Drugs or Other

The column names are just as examples. Does anyone know how this can
be done?

--
rjc_29
rjc_29's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3475
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=489071

Vito

Help

Go To Data|Validation and choose to allow: List

Enter the values of the list in the source box separated by commas.

--
Vito
Vito's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29182