-   -   How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/57328-how-does-one-refer-n-1-element-named-range.html)

Charles Hewitt

How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

If I have established a range called Beginning_Inventory, and I want to set
it equal to the previous period's Ending_Inventory, what do I have to do?
(Clearly, one could use a relative reference, but there are other reasons for
not doing so.)

Thanks,

Biff

How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

Hi!

How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

What is the "n-1" element?

=INDEX(named_range,1,1)

Refers to the top leftmost element, that is, row1 column1.

Biff

"Charles Hewitt" <Charles wrote in message
If I have established a range called Beginning_Inventory, and I want to
set
it equal to the previous period's Ending_Inventory, what do I have to do?
(Clearly, one could use a relative reference, but there are other reasons
for
not doing so.)

Thanks,

Harlan Grove

How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

"Charles Hewitt" <Charles wrote...
If I have established a range called Beginning_Inventory, and I want to set
it equal to the previous period's Ending_Inventory, what do I have to do?
(Clearly, one could use a relative reference, but there are other reasons
for
not doing so.)

So each period has its own named range like Data2005Oct? If so, and if the
current range's period could be derived from, say, its row 1 column 2 cell,
and if the ending inventory were in the preceding period's row 20 column 7
cell, then you could try something like the following to pull the October
2005 ending inventory into the November 2005 range.

=INDEX(INDIRECT(TEXT(INDEX(Data2005Nov,1,2)-DAY(INDEX(Data2005Nov,1,2)),
"\D\a\t\aYYYYMMM")),20,7)