-   -   Auto Number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/57119-auto-number.html)

horseman

Auto Number

In my spreadsheet I have a cell called file number. Is their anyway that a
can get this cell to automatically put in the next number everytime I enter
new data, so that I do not have to type in the number it is excel 2000

Dave Peterson

Auto Number

If your numbers are in column A, maybe you could just put a bunch of formulas in
that column that depend on another column having data.

=if(b10="","",a9+1)

(in A10, and drag down.)

--

Dave Peterson

BenjieLop

Auto Number

horseman Wrote:
In my spreadsheet I have a cell called file number. Is their anyway that
can get this cell to automatically put in the next number everytime I
enter
new data, so that I do not have to type in the number it is excel 2000

ASSUME that you file numbers are in Column A (starting from Cell A1)
and your data will be entered in Column B (starting from Cell B1),
enter this formula

=IF(B1<\"\",COUNTA($B1:B$1)&\".\",\"\")

in Cell A1 and copy down until your range requirement is satisfied.

With the above formula, your file number (in Column A) will
automatically be numbered every time you enter data in Column B.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards.

--
BenjieLop