-   -   How do I create column headings in Excel in the A, B, C etc column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/56976-how-do-i-create-column-headings-excel-b-c-etc-column.html)

eliannaj

How do I create column headings in Excel in the A, B, C etc column

I have seen spreadsheets where the column heads, A, B, C etc have titles but
haven't been able to figure out how to insert my own.
thanks for any enlightenment on this topic.
--
Elianna

Bob Umlas

How do I create column headings in Excel in the A, B, C etc column

You can't. You can REMOVE the display of the headings and insert your own in
row 1 then freeze row 1 so it always shows, but you're still really typing
in columns A, B, etc.
To remove the display of the headings: tools/Options/View tab, deselect Row
& Column Headers
To freeze row 1:
Select row 2, Window/Freeze Panes.
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"eliannaj" wrote in message
I have seen spreadsheets where the column heads, A, B, C etc have titles

but
haven't been able to figure out how to insert my own.
thanks for any enlightenment on this topic.
--
Elianna

David Billigmeier

How do I create column headings in Excel in the A, B, C etc column

You can't change the "A,B,C,D..." column headings to something custom (you
can change them to numbers by going Tools-Options-'General' Tab- Check
R1C1 reference style). The best you can do is place your custom column
headings in row 1, then grab the little horizontal bar located at the top of
the vertical scroll bar and drag it below row 1. Then Window-Freeze Panes.

Dave