-   -   How do I Auto-Filter with multiple values in a cell in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/56959-how-do-i-auto-filter-multiple-values-cell-excel.html)

Burghthing

How do I Auto-Filter with multiple values in a cell in Excel?

Is it possible to use the Auto-Filter in Excel 2003 in the following way:

Cell Value: Requirements, Testing
Cell Value: Requirements
Cell Value: Testing

Is there a way I can enter my cell value such that the Auto-Filter values
will only show "Requirements" and "Testing" in the dropdown, but not
"Requirements, Testing"? I've tried using ; , | and even hard returns as
separators, but to no avail.

Am I asking too much of the auto-filter?

Thanks in advance

bpeltzer

How do I Auto-Filter with multiple values in a cell in Excel?

Unless you create another column to indicate the match, I think you are
asking too much of the autofilter. Check the advanced filter instead.
You'll have to set up 'criteria', a group of cells separate from your data,
and you would have a row in the criteria for each criterion. So you'd have a
three-row criteria: the header, then 'Requirements', then 'Testing.'

"Burghthing" wrote:

Is it possible to use the Auto-Filter in Excel 2003 in the following way:

Cell Value: Requirements, Testing
Cell Value: Requirements
Cell Value: Testing

Is there a way I can enter my cell value such that the Auto-Filter values
will only show "Requirements" and "Testing" in the dropdown, but not
"Requirements, Testing"? I've tried using ; , | and even hard returns as
separators, but to no avail.

Am I asking too much of the auto-filter?

Thanks in advance

Burghthing

How do I Auto-Filter with multiple values in a cell in Excel?

I was afraid that was going to be the response. Thanks bpeltzer!