-   -   date of last friday of previous month (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/55328-date-last-friday-previous-month.html)

tkaplan

date of last friday of previous month

I am trying to figure out how to compute the following:

user enters in a date in A1.
B1 needs to calculate the month prior.
C1 needs to calculate the last friday of the month prior to B1.

so if A1 is 11/14/2005,
B1 should be October 2005
C1 should be 9/30/2005

I know how to do B1. I am having a hard time with C1.

Thanks in advance

--
tkaplan
tkaplan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22987

Ron Rosenfeld

date of last friday of previous month

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:52:36 -0600, tkaplan
wrote:

I am trying to figure out how to compute the following:

user enters in a date in A1.
B1 needs to calculate the month prior.
C1 needs to calculate the last friday of the month prior to B1.

so if A1 is 11/14/2005,
B1 should be October 2005
C1 should be 9/30/2005

I know how to do B1. I am having a hard time with C1.

Thanks in advance

One problem -- 30 Oct 2005 was a Sunday. Do you want the last Sunday of the
prior month or the last Friday.

B1: =A1-DAY(A1)
Format as: mmmm yyyy

C1: =B1+1-WEEKDAY(B1+2)
will give the last Friday of the month prior to the month in A1

If you want the last Sunday of the month, then:

C1: =B1+1-WEEKDAY(B1)

--ron

tkaplan

date of last friday of previous month

i need the last friday of the month prior to the month in b1.

september 30 was a friday. if a1 is 11/14/05, i need b1 to say October
2005, and c1 to say 9/30/2005.
b1 i know how to do, i am having a problem with C1.

--

wrote:

I am trying to figure out how to compute the following:

user enters in a date in A1.
B1 needs to calculate the month prior.
C1 needs to calculate the last friday of the month prior to B1.

so if A1 is 11/14/2005,
B1 should be October 2005
C1 should be 9/30/2005

I know how to do B1. I am having a hard time with C1.

Thanks in advance

My misreading. Try:

B1: =A1-DAY(A1)

C1: =B1-DAY(B1)+1-WEEKDAY(B1-DAY(B1)+2)

--ron

Dave O

date of last friday of previous month

I got results with this formula in C1:
=B4-MOD(WEEKDAY(B4)+1,7)

Ron Rosenfeld

On 14 Nov 2005 08:50:47 -0800, "Dave O" wrote:

I got results with this formula in C1:
=B4-MOD(WEEKDAY(B4)+1,7)

1. You misread the same as I did. The OP wants the last Friday of the month
PRIOR to the month in *B4*.

2. The MOD function seems superfluous as WEEKDAY effectively performs a MOD
function by itself.

=B4+1-WEEKDAY(B4+2)

will return the same value as your formula.

--ron

tkaplan

date of last friday of previous month

thank you ron. that worked:)

--
tkaplan
tkaplan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22987
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=484884

Ron Rosenfeld

date of last friday of previous month

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:39:16 -0600, tkaplan
wrote:

thank you ron. that worked:)

You're welcome. Glad to help.

--ron