-   -   Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/55158-alternate-color-lines-when-using-custom-views.html)

GLT

Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views

Hello Everyone,

I used the following code in the Conditional Fomatting dialog box to acheive
alternate colour lines:

=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

This works fine, except when I choose a custom view, the alternate lines do
not re-color themselves and I get blocks of one color or another - looks
messy...

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Bob Phillips

Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views

What is the custom view doing specifically?

--

HTH

RP

"GLT" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

I used the following code in the Conditional Fomatting dialog box to

acheive
alternate colour lines:

=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

This works fine, except when I choose a custom view, the alternate lines

do
not re-color themselves and I get blocks of one color or another - looks
messy...

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

GLT

Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response - I have autofilter switched on for the columns and
I have saved a few different filters as a custom view...

Whenever I select a custom view and the data is filtered, the color lines
are based from the original view...

Cheers

"GLT" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

I used the following code in the Conditional Fomatting dialog box to

acheive
alternate colour lines:

=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

This works fine, except when I choose a custom view, the alternate lines

do
not re-color themselves and I get blocks of one color or another - looks
messy...

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Bob Phillips

Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views

Could it be because although the autofilter is hiding some rows, the MOD
function does not ignore them. Maybe this formula will work better

=MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A$1:$A1),2)=1

--

HTH

RP

"GLT" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

I used the following code in the Conditional Fomatting dialog box to

acheive
alternate colour lines:

=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

This works fine, except when I choose a custom view, the alternate

lines
do
not re-color themselves and I get blocks of one color or another -

looks
messy...

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

David McRitchie

Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views

If it acts like filtering and you have all cells
=MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A$1:$A1),2) for alternate row banding
requires all cells in column A to be used in the rows not hidden by filtering..
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#colorband

Should be simple for you to test, I don't know what view actually does.
---
HTH,

"GLT" wrote in message ...
Hello Everyone,

I used the following code in the Conditional Fomatting dialog box to acheive
alternate colour lines:

=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

This works fine, except when I choose a custom view, the alternate lines do
not re-color themselves and I get blocks of one color or another - looks
messy...

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

David McRitchie

Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views

Sorry Bob, I overlooked your reply, in fact I missed that view
was autofilter so was unsure of my answer then.

Bob Phillips

Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views

No problem David, it never hurts, especially with the problems people
sometimes get with not seeing some posts.

Regards

Bob

"David McRitchie" wrote in message
Sorry Bob, I overlooked your reply, in fact I missed that view
was autofilter so was unsure of my answer then.

GLT

Alternate Color Lines when using Custom Views

Thanks Bob that works great :)