-   -   Aligning Decimal Points with non-numeric data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/55008-aligning-decimal-points-non-numeric-data.html)

notloiseweiss

Aligning Decimal Points with non-numeric data

I am creating a table and would like to align my data by the decimal point.
I understand that the accounting format will do this, however my data
sometimes includes symbols. For example

1.23
7.94
8.45**
(3.12)
5.88

The accounting format seems to deal well with the (3.12), but I can't get
the decimal places to align for the 8.45**. Any advice??? Also the
accounting format won't allow me to indent. Thanks in advance!

MrShorty

Aligning Decimal Points with non-numeric data

This format code (Format-Cells-Number tab-Custom) seems to work for
me.
0.00_*_*_);(0.00)_*_*;0.00_*_*_);@_)
Make sure the alignment is set to right.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181

notloiseweiss

Aligning Decimal Points with non-numeric data

Thanks for the idea MrShorty.
But, your solution doesn't seem to work for the 7.94** ???

Here's my actual data:

7.94**
(139.63)
10.47
18.18
(7.87)

"MrShorty" wrote:

This format code (Format-Cells-Number tab-Custom) seems to work for
me.
0.00_*_*_);(0.00)_*_*;0.00_*_*_);@_)
Make sure the alignment is set to right.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=484328

MrShorty

Aligning Decimal Points with non-numeric data

In what way didn't it work? It works for me, including the 7.94**. Did
you set the horizontal alignment to "right?" General alignment puts
text values (like 7.94**) left justified with numbers right justified.
You want everything (text or number) right justified.