-   -   how do I get data from one excel spreadsheet to another (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/54766-how-do-i-get-data-one-excel-spreadsheet-another.html)

CrazyJ

how do I get data from one excel spreadsheet to another

I want to get data out of an old spreadsheet. Each month I have to rank the
sales performance of our territories. I rank them for four different
criteria which is easy enough, but then I need to compare this month's
ranking with last month's. Currently I am going back to the previous month's
spreadsheet and finding the old ranking for each territory and copying it
over to my new spreadsheet one by one which is quite tedious. I am hoping to
find a way of automatically pulling that data out of the old spreadsheet, any
suggestions?

Peter Jausovec

how do I get data from one excel spreadsheet to another

Hi,

You can import the date from old workbook to the new one (Data - Import).
Or just type = in the cell and then select the value you want to use from
another workbook.

--
Best regards,
Peter JauĊĦovec

"CrazyJ" wrote:

I want to get data out of an old spreadsheet. Each month I have to rank the
sales performance of our territories. I rank them for four different
criteria which is easy enough, but then I need to compare this month's
ranking with last month's. Currently I am going back to the previous month's
spreadsheet and finding the old ranking for each territory and copying it
over to my new spreadsheet one by one which is quite tedious. I am hoping to
find a way of automatically pulling that data out of the old spreadsheet, any
suggestions?

TraceeK

how do I get data from one excel spreadsheet to another

If your data is stored vertically on Both sheets,with a commone variable such
as Territory, or Sales person, you can do a V-lookup. I have these
instructions all typed up with some screen captures and I can e-mail them to
you.
My email address is :
If you would like them, send me an e-mail to this address and I will forward
them to you. I use v-lookup almost daily. It's great for comparing what's
on one sheet and not on another, extracting information form one sheet into
another. It's too lenghty to explain here.
--
Thanks from:
TraceeK in Freeport IL

"CrazyJ" wrote:

I want to get data out of an old spreadsheet. Each month I have to rank the
sales performance of our territories. I rank them for four different
criteria which is easy enough, but then I need to compare this month's
ranking with last month's. Currently I am going back to the previous month's
spreadsheet and finding the old ranking for each territory and copying it
over to my new spreadsheet one by one which is quite tedious. I am hoping to
find a way of automatically pulling that data out of the old spreadsheet, any
suggestions?

Paul Sheppard

CrazyJ Wrote:
I want to get data out of an old spreadsheet. Each month I have to rank
the
sales performance of our territories. I rank them for four different
criteria which is easy enough, but then I need to compare this month's
ranking with last month's. Currently I am going back to the previous
month's
spreadsheet and finding the old ranking for each territory and copying
it
over to my new spreadsheet one by one which is quite tedious. I am
hoping to
find a way of automatically pulling that data out of the old
spreadsheet, any
suggestions?

Hi CrazyJ

Try using links, with both spreadseets open, click in a cell on the new
month spreadsheet where you want the previous months ranking, type =, go
to the previous months workbook and click on the cell containing the
relevant ranking and hit Enter

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783