-   -   how can I enter a 21 digit number in a cell & keep it from change (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/53817-how-can-i-enter-21-digit-number-cell-keep-change.html)

alex

how can I enter a 21 digit number in a cell & keep it from change

What changes should i make to my set up if I need to be able to enter a
number into a cell that is 20 or more digits long & I want to keep it from
changing to scientific notation (as it does when a number is more than 12
digits long)?
Excel 2003 professional edition

Jake Marx

how can I enter a 21 digit number in a cell & keep it from change

Hi alex,

alex wrote:
What changes should i make to my set up if I need to be able to enter
a number into a cell that is 20 or more digits long & I want to keep
it from changing to scientific notation (as it does when a number is
more than 12 digits long)?
Excel 2003 professional edition

Putting in 20+ digit numbers will cause you to lose precision (reformat the
cell as number and you'll see what I mean). If that's OK with you, then
you'll probably want to pre-format the range as number or some other format
instead of general. That way, it won't change when you enter long numbers.

If these numbers are account numbers/etc, and you won't be performing
arithmetic on them, you can use an apostrophe at the beginning of the number
to force Excel to treat it as text:

'12345678901234567890123

Jake Marx
www.longhead.com

Paul B

how can I enter a 21 digit number in a cell & keep it from change

Alex, if you don't need to do any math with it format the cell as text
before you put the number in or put an ', apostrophe, in front of it

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003