-   -   text display as #### instead of wrapping (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/53121-text-display-instead-wrapping.html)

[email protected]

text display as #### instead of wrapping

I have a cell with about 500 characters of text that displays as a
single line of
number signs. There are no 'alt-enter' line breaks. This is not a
merged cell.

Under format cells, Alignment I have Wrap text selected. Under the
Number tab, I
have Text as the Category, and the sample shows the line of number
signs. If I
choose 'Special' and 'Zip Code' both the Sample box and the cell wrap
just fine
and display the all the text.

When displayed correctly, the cell is 83.71 wide and there a 6 lines of
text.

Thanks.

Gord Dibben

text display as #### instead of wrapping

Excel has a problem with strings in the 255 through 1024 character range when
the cell is formatted as Text.

Change the formatting to General and you should see the #########'s disappear.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 1 Nov 2005 07:12:22 -0800, wrote:

I have a cell with about 500 characters of text that displays as a
single line of
number signs. There are no 'alt-enter' line breaks. This is not a
merged cell.

Under format cells, Alignment I have Wrap text selected. Under the
Number tab, I
have Text as the Category, and the sample shows the line of number
signs. If I
choose 'Special' and 'Zip Code' both the Sample box and the cell wrap
just fine
and display the all the text.

When displayed correctly, the cell is 83.71 wide and there a 6 lines of
text.

Thanks.

Dave Peterson

text display as #### instead of wrapping

Try formatting the cell as General.

When you use a number format of Text, excel will have trouble with strings
between 255 and 1024 characters.

--

Dave Peterson