-   -   Excel cell filler for word merge document (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/52784-excel-cell-filler-word-merge-document.html)

Shawna

Excel cell filler for word merge document

I am using Excel as a database for letter mail merge to Word.

I have "first name", "middle initial", "last name" fiels in the merge
document.

Not all ppl have middle initials so Word is inserting an extra space in
those letters.

Is there a filler that I can put in those cells with no initial to keep Word
from inserting that extra space?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Shawna

Shawna

Excel cell filler for word merge document

I found this, but do not know how to implement it:

The following conditional MERGEFIELD fields remove the blank space if the
middle initial field is blank. For example, given the following fields in a
mail merge main document,

<<FNAME <<MI <<LNAME

the following conditional IF field eliminates a blank space caused by an
empty middle initial field:

{MERGEFIELD FNAME}{IF {MERGEFIELD MI} < "" "{MERGEFIELD MI} "}{MERGEFIELD
LNAME}