-   -   Have Excel treat documents as Word does (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/52690-have-excel-treat-documents-word-does.html)

Frustrated Excel User

Have Excel treat documents as Word does

In Word the application is not closed until all documents are closed. However
when you close Excel, it closes all documents. This difference has caused me
to lose unsaved sheets because I keep expecting Excel to behave the same as
Word.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Sheila D

Have Excel treat documents as Word does

When you Exit from Excel it will normally ask if you want to save changes to
open workbooks same as Word does with documents. Are you not getting this
prompt?

Sheila

"Frustrated Excel User" wrote:

In Word the application is not closed until all documents are closed. However
when you close Excel, it closes all documents. This difference has caused me
to lose unsaved sheets because I keep expecting Excel to behave the same as
Word.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Don Guillett

Have Excel treat documents as Word does

I like to use this

Sub CLOSE_ALL()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
For Each w In Workbooks
w.Save
Next
Application.Quit

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Frustrated Excel User" <Frustrated Excel

wrote in message ...
In Word the application is not closed until all documents are closed.

However
when you close Excel, it closes all documents. This difference has caused

me
to lose unsaved sheets because I keep expecting Excel to behave the same

as
Word.

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Chip Pearson

Have Excel treat documents as Word does

Excel prompts you to save when closing unsaved documents.

wrote in message
In Word the application is not closed until all documents are
closed. However
when you close Excel, it closes all documents. This difference
has caused me
to lose unsaved sheets because I keep expecting Excel to behave
the same as
Word.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds
to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based
Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Frustrated Excel User

Have Excel treat documents as Word does

I do but sometimes in a rush I forget which sheet I want to save or not, My
point is that in Word each document acts like an appication and you can click
on the close button without closing the other documents. I find this
convenient and don't see why Excel does not behave in the same way. What's
annoyong is that it partially acts like this in that each open sheet appears
in the Taskbar. Why not go the whole hog and behave like Word?

"Frustrated Excel User" wrote:

In Word the application is not closed until all documents are closed. However
when you close Excel, it closes all documents. This difference has caused me
to lose unsaved sheets because I keep expecting Excel to behave the same as
Word.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Dave Peterson

Have Excel treat documents as Word does

One thing that I do to remind me that excel is different is to make sure that:
tools|options|view tab|windows in taskbar
is turned off.

Then it really looks like I'm closing the application when I use that
application's X. And I know to be more careful.

[...]

mathew

Have Excel treat documents as Word does

I agree with this remark. In addition I feel excel should allow you to have
each sheet opened and behave similar to word so you can put a spreadsheet on
one screen and another on a different one without having to open multiple
copies of excel. VERY annoying to be trapped within a single cramped box when
you have all the individual icons on the task bar.

"Frustrated Excel User" wrote:

In Word the application is not closed until all documents are closed. However
when you close Excel, it closes all documents. This difference has caused me
to lose unsaved sheets because I keep expecting Excel to behave the same as
Word.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Frustrated Excel User

Have Excel treat documents as Word does

Thank you Mathew. Since Word and Excel are part of MS Office, I feel that
Microsoft should make more of an effort to make them behave in the same way.
The same applies even more so to Access. For example there is little or no
correspondence between the in-built functions in Excel and Access.