-   -   linking two workbooks together (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/52430-linking-two-workbooks-together.html)

iowamold

linking two workbooks together

I have a workbook that is almost 5 megs that I would like to leave closed and
have another workbook do a vlookup and find the information on that other
workbook. When I try a vlook up it tells me that there is not enough memory.
If I have the workbook just in an sheet to the main workbook then it works
fine. But if I save all of that information everytime our server will fill
up pretty quickly.

How can I have the workbook stay closed on our server and just open another
workbook and have it link to the main workbook that is 5 megs.

Crowbar via OfficeKB.com

linking two workbooks together

=C:\exampledirectory\[example.xls]Sheet1'!A1

Im not sure of what your asking but this code will find data from a closed
workbook and display it in your current workbook.

If this isn't what u want, can you explain again and I might be able to help
further

jdawg

linking two workbooks together

I know that you can have cells linked between the 2 workbooks. If you
update the open workbook the other workbook will update when you open
it. This becomes a little tricky when you have multiple people using
bith workbooks.

--
jdawg
jdawg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28377