-   -   How do I ask Excel to take the.... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/52086-how-do-i-ask-excel-take.html)

tim :/

How do I ask Excel to take the....

....last 4 digits from a column of text and copy them into a new column?

I have a report with about 3000 cells in a column. In each cell is an
address and the last 4 digits is the post code. I want to run a formula that
will automatically take these last four digits and cut or copy them into a
adjacent column...

Many thanks all,

Tim.

JE McGimpsey

How do I ask Excel to take the....

One way:

B1: =RIGHT(A1,4)

In article ,
"tim :/" wrote:

...last 4 digits from a column of text and copy them into a new column?

I have a report with about 3000 cells in a column. In each cell is an
address and the last 4 digits is the post code. I want to run a formula that
will automatically take these last four digits and cut or copy them into a
adjacent column...

Many thanks all,

Tim.

Sue

How do I ask Excel to take the....

You could use the "RIGHT" function and which will allow use to view the last
4 digits, if you need them as a value, you would have to "cut and paste
special-values" to the next column.
Hope this helps
Sue

"tim :/" wrote in message
...last 4 digits from a column of text and copy them into a new column?

I have a report with about 3000 cells in a column. In each cell is an
address and the last 4 digits is the post code. I want to run a formula
that will automatically take these last four digits and cut or copy them
into a adjacent column...

Many thanks all,

Tim.

Perfect, thanks for the prompt response!

Phil

How do I ask Excel to take the....

If you don't want to use Paste Special, you could include the =VALUE
function within the formula to convert the data to numbers, eg

=VALUE(RIGHT(A1,4))

HTH

Phil

tim :/ wrote:
...last 4 digits from a column of text and copy them into a new column?

I have a report with about 3000 cells in a column. In each cell is an
address and the last 4 digits is the post code. I want to run a formula that
will automatically take these last four digits and cut or copy them into a
adjacent column...

Many thanks all,

Tim.

Sue