-   -   Detecting Case of Text in a Cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/51188-detecting-case-text-cell.html)

Colin Vicary

Detecting Case of Text in a Cell

Hi All

I know it's possible to change the case of text in a cell in Excel
using Lower, Upper and Proper, but is there a function that tells me
the current case of the text?

A user has a spreadsheet of catalogue items, some in proper case and
some in upper. He wants to seperate those in upper case into a separate
sheet but I can't think of an easy way of doing it.

Can anyone help?

Colin

--
Colin Vicary
Colin Vicary's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10472

Dave Peterson

Detecting Case of Text in a Cell

I'd use a column with cells containing a formula like:

=IF(EXACT(A1,UPPER(A1)),"Upper",IF(EXACT(A1,LOWER( A1)),"Lower",
IF(EXACT(A1,PROPER(A1)),"Proper","somethingelse")) )

(all one cell)

Then just filter on that column.

Be aware that 1234 will be treated as Upper--same with empty cells.

Colin Vicary wrote:

Hi All

I know it's possible to change the case of text in a cell in Excel
using Lower, Upper and Proper, but is there a function that tells me
the current case of the text?

A user has a spreadsheet of catalogue items, some in proper case and
some in upper. He wants to seperate those in upper case into a separate
sheet but I can't think of an easy way of doing it.

Can anyone help?

Colin

--
Colin Vicary
Colin Vicary's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10472
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=477485

--

Dave Peterson

Colin Vicary

Detecting Case of Text in a Cell

Dave

That worked perfectly, thanks for your help.

Colin