-   -   cell max characters (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/51092-cell-max-characters.html)

npereira

cell max characters

Hi,

is there such a thing in excel as a maximum characters per cell?

The reason I ask is that i try to open a Tab delimited text file in
excel and one of the columns is a product description. For some odd
reason the cell does not show all the charachters that it should have.

Why do I know? Well if I open this same file in a text editor, the
section of that cell shows all the text that it should have.

Anyone knows a work around or maybe this is a limitation of Excel?

--
npereira
npereira's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10799

PeterAtherton

cell max characters

"npereira" wrote:

Hi,

is there such a thing in excel as a maximum characters per cell?

The reason I ask is that i try to open a Tab delimited text file in
excel and one of the columns is a product description. For some odd
reason the cell does not show all the charachters that it should have.

Why do I know? Well if I open this same file in a text editor, the
section of that cell shows all the text that it should have.

Anyone knows a work around or maybe this is a limitation of Excel?

The limit in xl2k is 1181 characters. I found this when using big
concanenations.

Retgards
Peter
--
npereira
npereira's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10799
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=477348

npereira

cell max characters

then that's not my problem since it looks like it's being cut at about
150-200 characters.

Is there a setting in Excel?

--
npereira
npereira's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10799
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=477348

Dave Peterson

cell max characters

I put this in A1:K30:

=rept("a",10000)

And saved that file as text (tab delimited)--book1.txt

I closed my workbook and opened that text file (just by file|open).

I put this in A30:
=len(a1)
and got 10000

In fact, all 10,000 characters showed up for each of those cells.

I used xl2003--but I don't recall a difference since xl95 (which had a maximum
of 255 characters per cell, IIRC).

npereira wrote:

Hi,

is there such a thing in excel as a maximum characters per cell?

The reason I ask is that i try to open a Tab delimited text file in
excel and one of the columns is a product description. For some odd
reason the cell does not show all the charachters that it should have.

Why do I know? Well if I open this same file in a text editor, the
section of that cell shows all the text that it should have.

Anyone knows a work around or maybe this is a limitation of Excel?

--
npereira
npereira's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10799
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=477348

--

Dave Peterson

npereira

cell max characters

HEY !

I just tried that and A30 gave me 255 for A1.... So that's the problem
!

Excel is trunkating at 255 characters....

Anyone know how to fix this?

Im running Excel 2000 version 9.0.2720

Also tried it on my tab delimited text file and the specific cell gave
me 255 ...

--
npereira
npereira's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10799
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=477348

Dave Peterson

cell max characters

How are you opening the text file?

I used file|open and went through the data import wizard.

Maybe someone with xl2k can test and report back their results, too????