-   -   Countif( 2 criteria = true ?) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/50747-countif-2-criteria-%3D-true.html)

MyKool

Countif( 2 criteria = true ?)

Hi can you please help me...

I am trying count the number of items based on 2 criteria can you please
help me..?
Basically I have a sheet and in col A I have Code and col B I have name. eg:
Col A - Col B
1001 - Mike
1001 - Dave
1001 - Keith
1002 - Terry
1001 - Mike
What I am trynig to do is count how many say ("Mike" col B) with code of say
("1001" col A). so the answer according to the above will be "2".
I know I can use the dsum function to do this but the problem is I am trying
to get a formula in 1 cell to do the job as opposed to 2 rows + 3 columns..
hense is there a kind of countif(and) function or something I can use ???
Thanks.

Bob Phillips

Countif( 2 criteria = true ?)

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B200="Mike"),--(A2:A200=1001))

--

HTH

RP

"MyKool" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks thats great !!!

Please for my own knowledge, can you please tell me what is the double "-"
is for ??? as in :
= sumproduct(-- <-what is this for or what does it do ????

Many thanks

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

--
HTH

[...]