-   -   simple Wildcard Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/50714-simple-wildcard-question.html)

nastech

simple Wildcard Question

I've been trying to make wild cards work, don't see any actual equation
examples in help. Just the simple version for something like:

if(a1="b"*,"true")

for cell a1 = b1 or b2..
don't know where to put the quotation marks/ wildcards, isn't working, thanks.
obviously needs to be a number field..

Peo Sjoblom

simple Wildcard Question

One way

=IF(LEFT(A1,1)="b","do this","do that")

wildcards can be used in several function

but not in logical functions, so you have to use workarounds,
for your example LEFT will work, for *b* you can use

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("b",A1)),"do this","do that")

for *b

=IF(RIGHT(A1,1), and so on

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"nastech" wrote in message
I've been trying to make wild cards work, don't see any actual equation
examples in help. Just the simple version for something like:

if(a1="b"*,"true")

for cell a1 = b1 or b2..
don't know where to put the quotation marks/ wildcards, isn't working,
thanks.
obviously needs to be a number field..

nastech

simple Wildcard Question

Thankyou... been a problem for awhile.. later

"nastech" wrote in message
I've been trying to make wild cards work, don't see any actual equation
examples in help. Just the simple version for something like:

if(a1="b"*,"true")

for cell a1 = b1 or b2..
don't know where to put the quotation marks/ wildcards, isn't working,
thanks.
obviously needs to be a number field..

Bryan Hessey

simple Wildcard Question

To test if A1 is equal to B1 or B2 is
=IF(OR(A1=B1,A1=B2),"True","")

Wildcards are used to match characters in a search etc, not to modify
formula ranges.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=476689