-   -   Writing Macro for extracting info from other softwares (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/50571-writing-macro-extracting-info-other-softwares.html)

Skywalker

Writing Macro for extracting info from other softwares

Hi,

Is it possible to create a macro to extract information from other
softwares like Chainlinx, PMS etc.?

If yes, could you please explain briefly, how to do it?

Thanks.

damorrison

first try the macro recorder

Skywalker

i came to this group only after few unsuccessful attempts. anyway the
problem with the macro that i want is that excel's unable to get the
info from other software. For eg. if i record a macro after punching a
client id and i want excel to get all the information of that client
from other software; it simply won't do. As soon as i run it, it
repeats with the client id with which it was recorded.
Hope i've been able to clarify it.
Now would you please tell me if it's possible?

Thanks.

Skywalker

i came to this group only after few unsuccessful attempts. anyway the
problem with the macro that i want is that excel's unable to get the
info from other software. For eg. if i record a macro after punching a
client id and i want excel to get all the information of that client
from other software; it simply won't do. As soon as i run it, it
repeats with the client id with which it was recorded.
Hope i've been able to clarify it.
Now would you please tell me if it's possible?

Thanks.

R. Choate

I don't know anything about the programs you listed, but if they are database programs and they are ODBC compliant, then you can get
data from them with some code or by using the external data feature in Excel which uses Microsoft Query, which is a little bit of a
dinosaur. By the way, you only need to post your question once in the same thread. If you want to post again later, you should start
a new thread instead of replying to your own question. Just a thought.

--
RMC,CPA