-   -   Using Texts in Cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/50217-using-texts-cells.html)

Duncan

Using Texts in Cells

I have a list of parts numbers (alphabetical and numeric) and want to use
these in a sum.
How can I include these in a sum eg if C1= EV1, C2=EV2?
Alternatively if not possible can I use the SUBSTITUTE function to pick this
text from a list
Thanks in advance

bj

do you wnat to do a sum or a count?
if a count, check the countif() function in help

"Duncan" wrote:

I have a list of parts numbers (alphabetical and numeric) and want to use
these in a sum.
How can I include these in a sum eg if C1= EV1, C2=EV2?
Alternatively if not possible can I use the SUBSTITUTE function to pick this
text from a list
Thanks in advance

Duncan

I want to show the text:
eg the column looks like;
EV-R4
0
0
So I want the cell below to show the text, so I can use it in a product
selection guide
Thanks

"Duncan" wrote:

I have a list of parts numbers (alphabetical and numeric) and want to use
these in a sum.
How can I include these in a sum eg if C1= EV1, C2=EV2?
Alternatively if not possible can I use the SUBSTITUTE function to pick this
text from a list
Thanks in advance

bj

most of the time people would call this concatinating rather than summing

if C1= EV1, C2=EV2
=C1 & "-" & C2
or
= Concatinate(C1,"-",C2)
would result in
EV1-EV2

"Duncan" wrote:

I have a list of parts numbers (alphabetical and numeric) and want to use
these in a sum.
How can I include these in a sum eg if C1= EV1, C2=EV2?
Alternatively if not possible can I use the SUBSTITUTE function to pick this
text from a list
Thanks in advance

Duncan

Thanks I have done it