-   -   the use of e in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/49770-use-e-excel.html)

john mcmichael

the use of e in Excel

I have a series of part numbers that include the letter e. ( EX: 38E275 )
Excel is treating these as Exponents (I thnk) and I see the value changed
into scientific notation. I know that I can change the formatting in the cell
to text and it works properly but...Is there a way that I can get excel to
stop treating "e" as an exponent for the whole sheet w/o changing all of my
numbers to text.

Thank you for your help and advice

Ron P

Format the cells as TEXT then enter your part identifications.

"john mcmichael" wrote in message
I have a series of part numbers that include the letter e. ( EX: 38E275 )
Excel is treating these as Exponents (I thnk) and I see the value changed
into scientific notation. I know that I can change the formatting in the
cell
to text and it works properly but...Is there a way that I can get excel to
stop treating "e" as an exponent for the whole sheet w/o changing all of
my
numbers to text.

Thank you for your help and advice

Dave Peterson

I think the best you can do is either preformatting the cell as text or starting
the value with an apostrophe:

'38E275

(Excel will see the apostrophe and know that you want the value treated as
text.)

--

Dave Peterson