-   -   Hyperlink Locates file regardless of it's location (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/48850-hyperlink-locates-file-regardless-its-location.html)

AC

Hyperlink Locates file regardless of it's location

Hi,

I have a 100's of hyperlinks that take a part number from a cell and
then point to and open a corresponding pdf drawing located in
z:\\server-h\vol1\data\xx.pdf
However some of the pdf files are located in '...vol2\data\xx'
Can the hyperlink not have a formula or some msdos command in it so
that it can search for a particular filename by itself on the whole
hard drive. This way if the pdf files get moved around there will be no
problem with the hyperlinks? I'm using Excel XP 2002.

Thanks,

Avais

Harlan Grove

AC wrote...
I have a 100's of hyperlinks that take a part number from a cell and
then point to and open a corresponding pdf drawing located in
z:\\server-h\vol1\data\xx.pdf
However some of the pdf files are located in '...vol2\data\xx'
Can the hyperlink not have a formula or some msdos command in it so
that it can search for a particular filename by itself on the whole
hard drive. This way if the pdf files get moved around there will be no
problem with the hyperlinks? I'm using Excel XP 2002.

No.