-   -   how do I populate a cell with data from another worksheet, (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/48494-how-do-i-populate-cell-data-another-worksheet.html)

deniseh

how do I populate a cell with data from another worksheet,

I have two worksheets, both with similar data. Say columns are Acc No, Acc
Name and VAT number. Unfortunately the VAT number does not correspond on
each worksheet. How can I populate 1 worksheet with the VAT number so that
the data is collected on one worksheet? I have tried VLookup, but I'm not
really conversant with it so would appreciate any help.
Many thanks
Denise

Roger Govier

Hi Denise

You don't say which one is correct so you will have to change the
formula as appropriate.
I would be inclined to make a brand new Sheet, leaving all of the other
data intact.

First, mark the range of column A that is populated on Sheet1Copy go to
cell A1 of your new sheet, Sheet3 and in cell A1 Paste
On Sheet3 enter
B1=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000,2,0) this will give the Account Name
C1=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000,3,0) this will give the VAT number

I have assumed rows 1 to 1000 are filled, change as appropriate.
Change reference to Sheet2 if required

Regards

Roger Govier

"deniseh" wrote:

I have two worksheets, both with similar data. Say columns are Acc No, Acc
Name and VAT number. Unfortunately the VAT number does not correspond on
each worksheet. How can I populate 1 worksheet with the VAT number so that
the data is collected on one worksheet? I have tried VLookup, but I'm not
really conversant with it so would appreciate any help.
Many thanks
Denise

Roger Govier

Hi Denise

You don't say in what way the reply I posted didn't work.
Can you give a little more information?

Regards

Roger Govier