-   -   custom number- minutes:seconds.hundredths how to hide a leading z (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/48456-custom-number-minutes-seconds-hundredths-how-hide-leading-z.html)

pretzel

custom number- minutes:seconds.hundredths how to hide a leading z

Hi,
I'm running up a simple sheet to enter/display times for a sporting event.

As such, I have set a custom format of m:ss.00 and can enter a time of 1
(minute) 10 (seconds) 24 (hundredths) to show as 1:10.24 (this parts OK).

But if the time is less than a minute, say 55.24 (seconds) I get 0:55.24
which although functional, looks messy. It also requires the person to enter
the leading "0:".

Is there a way to a)stop the leading "0:" from showing, and b)not require
entering the "0:" for times less than a minute?
---
pbw

JE McGimpsey

For your custom format:

[<0.000694444444444444]ss.00;m:ss.00

For entries without colons, you'll need an event macro. See

http://cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

In article ,
"pretzel" wrote:

Hi,
I'm running up a simple sheet to enter/display times for a sporting event.

As such, I have set a custom format of m:ss.00 and can enter a time of 1
(minute) 10 (seconds) 24 (hundredths) to show as 1:10.24 (this parts OK).

But if the time is less than a minute, say 55.24 (seconds) I get 0:55.24
which although functional, looks messy. It also requires the person to enter
the leading "0:".

Is there a way to a)stop the leading "0:" from showing, and b)not require
entering the "0:" for times less than a minute?
---
pbw

pretzel

Hi,

Thaks for that.

I suppose that the custom format is saying "if the value is less than 1
minute (which is one day/24/60) then use the format ss.00 otherwise use
m:ss00"

I should have been able to figure that one out :-(((

I'm still reviewing the page you noted (have to do a bit of thinking here).
I supposed its about time I leant some VBA. Looks like the entire site is
full of Excel goodies.

thanks
--
-----