-   -   User-defined functions created in Excel 2000 fail in Excel 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/48279-user-defined-functions-created-excel-2000-fail-excel-2003-a.html)

goodguy

User-defined functions created in Excel 2000 fail in Excel 2003

I created a lot of user-defined functions in Excel2000 and I access them
from an .xla file (add-in). I frequently send my workbooks to
colleagues using Excel2000, but I intentionally have not supplied to
them the .xla file. If they do not edit their copy of the workbook,
the user functions display the last-saved results properly. If my
colleagues make edits to cells that affect the user functions, the user
functions fail with #NAME etc. This is good because it prevents my
colleagues from modifying and resaving my workbooks.

However, a colleague now has Excel 2003, and on his machine the user
functions immediately fail (cells display #NAME etc) when the workbook
is opened.

Obviously the problem has something to do with Excel 2003. Any
thoughts how to fix this?

--
goodguy

Dave Peterson

xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
versions. In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
prompt, the existing values are kept. In xl2002+, you get those errors.

Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP11.phx .gbl

Maybe it'll work for your colleague.