-   -   I'm getting mad - I'm having problems with EXCEL file name length (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/48090-im-getting-mad-im-having-problems-excel-file-name-length.html)

Raffa

I'm getting mad - I'm having problems with EXCEL file name length

I'm having problems naming Excel files. It happens just within certain
folders. For instance if I create a new Excel file and I try to open it,
the Operating System answer me that "It's impossible to find 'C:\documents ad
setting\main\..\..\New worksheet of Microsoft Excel.xls?"
If I try to open the same file from another PC trough a LAN connection it
works fine.
If I move the same file to another folder on my HD it works fine.
To open the file within the folder where I'm having problems, I have to
rename the file name, assigning to it a very short name (max 16 character) or
I have to rename the folder, assigning it a very short name (max 16
character).
Please, someone can explaining me what's happening?
Thanks for your help.

My SW is:
Operating System Windows WP - Home edition SP2
Office Small Business Edition 2003 - SP2

David McRitchie

Try using the word and settings and fill in the missing nodes
'C:\documents and settings\mains\..\..\New worksheet of Microsoft Excel.xls?"

instead of
'C:\documents ad setting\main\..\..\New worksheet of Microsoft Excel.xls?"

Correct the name within Tools, Options, General
Default file location:
personally I would use something similar to c:\myfiles\excel
to keep things separate from system

--
---
HTH,

"Raffa" wrote in message ...
[...]

David, thanks for your help but your suggestion does not solve my issue.

Cheers. Raffaele