-   -   Import files on a:\...display in Excel file ? ... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/47565-import-files-%5C-display-excel-file.html)

B. [email protected]

Import files on a:\...display in Excel file ? ...

Wish to capture the individual flnmes on a:\, - display each one in sngle
excelfile.
I have individual floppiess, each holding a group of (bckdup) files.
Then, have an 'index'(excel file), where I can then see which floppy holds
which bckup. (that was with Win ME ... how with Win XP?)

Boswell

Gord Dibben

Boswell

Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.

OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type DIR MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Notepad or Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull directly to
Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in. This allows filtering and
sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ scroll down to Add-insDirectory Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP