-   -   Formula to make Negative Values Positive & Positive Values Negative? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/47280-formula-make-negative-values-positive-positive-values-negative.html)

mustard

Formula to make Negative Values Positive & Positive Values Negative?

I would like to know if there is any way to have a formula/function that
takes a value from another cell (I know how to do that part) and then
makes the number negative if the original is positive - or else makes
the number positive if the original is negative. Any ideas?

--
mustard
mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20017

Sloth

Just multiply it by -1

example:

=-1*A1

"mustard" wrote:

I would like to know if there is any way to have a formula/function that
takes a value from another cell (I know how to do that part) and then
makes the number negative if the original is positive - or else makes
the number positive if the original is negative. Any ideas?

--
mustard
mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20017
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=470855

David Hepner

You can:
- put '-1' in an empty cell and copy this cell
- select your data
- goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Multiply'

or

create a helper column and use this formula:

=-A1 (aussmuing your numnber is in A1) and drag down the formula.

"mustard" wrote:

I would like to know if there is any way to have a formula/function that
takes a value from another cell (I know how to do that part) and then
makes the number negative if the original is positive - or else makes
the number positive if the original is negative. Any ideas?

--
mustard
mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20017
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=470855

mustard

That worked great. Thank you.

--
mustard
mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20017
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=470855

Gord Dibben

mustard

By formula in A1 enter =b1*-1

where b1 is negative or positive.

Without a formula enter -1 in any empty cell then copy and select cells to
change then Paste SpecialMultiplyOkEsc on all selected cells.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP