-   -   cell data shows as ############# (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/47215-cell-data-shows.html)

PatK

cell data shows as #############

I have a "text" cell that, when content gets to be too long (I assume greater
than 255, or somesuch), all I see is a single row of pound/hash signs, ie:
################################################## ###

filling the cell. Is there a way to change the formatting so that this does
not occur?

Thanks!

PatK

Bernard Liengme

The repeated # is what Excel uses to show an entry is too large for column
width.
There is no alternative
If you told us more about the scenario maybe a workaround would be
suggested.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"PatK" wrote in message
I have a "text" cell that, when content gets to be too long (I assume
greater
than 255, or somesuch), all I see is a single row of pound/hash signs, ie:
################################################## ###

filling the cell. Is there a way to change the formatting so that this
does
not occur?

Thanks!

PatK

PatK

Thanks!

Basically, the text field is part of a status update report we happen to use
excel to create. Thus, the cell is a freeform text field, that can be quite
lengthy (altho we try to limit it somewhat). But in general, that is about
it.

I am thinking about just changing the status report to MS Word, but I lose
some field validation and conditional formatting capability, when I do that.

ideas? Workarounds? Thanks again!

"PatK" wrote in message
I have a "text" cell that, when content gets to be too long (I assume
greater
than 255, or somesuch), all I see is a single row of pound/hash signs, ie:

filling the cell. Is there a way to change the formatting so that this
does
not occur?

Thanks!

PatK

PatK

I think I figured this out...I changed the cell format to General, and it now
works. I had it set to "TEXT" before.

Thanks!!!