-   -   how do i convert names to initials in excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/47203-how-do-i-convert-names-initials-excel.html)

dave glynn

how do i convert names to initials in excel

I have a list of names in excel such as

Bill Smith
Joe Bloggs
Jock McTavish

The entire name (forename and surname) is contained in one cell.

The forename and surname are "space" delimited.

How do I convert the forenames to initials so that the list will read

B Smith
J Bloggs
J McTavish

Thanks

Dave Glynn

Niek Otten

=LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1)+1)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"dave glynn" wrote in message
I have a list of names in excel such as

Bill Smith
Joe Bloggs
Jock McTavish

The entire name (forename and surname) is contained in one cell.

The forename and surname are "space" delimited.

How do I convert the forenames to initials so that the list will read

B Smith
J Bloggs
J McTavish

Thanks