-   -   How do I sort dates by month rather than by year? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/46921-how-do-i-sort-dates-month-rather-than-year.html)

terickson

How do I sort dates by month rather than by year?

I pulled a birthdates query out of our data base and when I sort the
worksheet it sorts by the year. I am a beginner with querys so I do not know
how to change the format of the cells so that I can sort by month and day
instead.

Jim Cone

t,
a couple of answers here...
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O17025ADB
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"terickson"
wrote in message

I pulled a birthdates query out of our data base and when I sort the
worksheet it sorts by the year. I am a beginner with querys so I do not know
how to change the format of the cells so that I can sort by month and day
instead.

Myrna Larson

You can use a "helper" column containing this formula, and sort on that helper
column. The gormula assumes the original date is in A1:

=MONTH(A1)*100+DAY(A1)