-   -   function defaults change in Pivot Table..why? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/46917-function-defaults-change-pivot-table-why.html)

Jugglertwo

function defaults change in Pivot Table..why?

I was recently working in my pivot table and had something happened that
doesn't make a lot of sense to me so I'm asking for some assistance.
Usually, when I drag a field on to my Pivot Table in the DATA section it
defaults to the sum function with a number field. It also defaults to a count
function when I drag a field that has text in it.

Recently, I got a pivot table that default a number field to the count
function. Can anyone explain why the default has changed on this particular
Pivot Table?

Any asistance would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks!
Tim

Debra Dalgleish

If there's a blank cell in the number field, or a text entry, the data
field will default to Count, instead of Sum.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dave Peterson

If all your data in that column is numeric, then you'll see Sum of.

If any of it is non-numeric (text or even empty), then you'll see count of.

If you go back to the original range, I bet you'll see an empty/text cell.
(Maybe the range includes too many rows???)