Donna

Default Excel

How can I keep a tally in Excel by going back to the same cell and entering
slash marks without deleting the previous slash marks. This is for a test
and I need to keep a total of how many answered a specific question. Can
someone please help me?

Thank you.
bill kuunders

duoble click onto the cell (or single click and press F2) to add more slashes.
you could have a function next to it to keep count.
I.e if the slashes are in cell E5 in F5 enter =LEN(E5)
--
greetings from New Zealand
Bill Kuunders

"Donna" wrote:

How can I keep a tally in Excel by going back to the same cell and entering
slash marks without deleting the previous slash marks. This is for a test
and I need to keep a total of how many answered a specific question. Can
someone please help me?

Thank you.

Donna

Thank you for answering, I guess I was just wondering if I could add
additional numbers to the cell without typing the F2 edit key as I have
numerous questions and I need to go back and tally these cells several times.

"Donna" wrote:

How can I keep a tally in Excel by going back to the same cell and entering
slash marks without deleting the previous slash marks. This is for a test
and I need to keep a total of how many answered a specific question. Can
someone please help me?

Thank you.

Dave Peterson

Why not just type in the new number?

If you're looking for some kind of "picture", you could use this formula in an
adjacent cell:

=rept("|",a1)

But for something neater, try this:

=REPT(REPT(CHAR(134),4)&" ",INT(A1/5))&REPT("|",MOD(A1,5))

"Donna" wrote:

How can I keep a tally in Excel by going back to the same cell and entering
slash marks without deleting the previous slash marks. This is for a test
and I need to keep a total of how many answered a specific question. Can
someone please help me?

Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson
Jay

How can I keep a tally in Excel by going back to the same cell and
entering slash marks without deleting the previous slash marks. This
is for a test and I need to keep a total of how many answered a
specific question.

This isn't the method you asked for, but it might help.

First the preparation:
- Find an out-of-the-way cell and enter the number 1 there.
- Use "Edit Copy" to copy the 1 to the clipboard.
- Select another out-of-the-way cell and use:
Edit Paste special Operation "Add"

Now for each time you want to increment a tally:
- Select the cell
- Hit the F4 key

So to tally a whole bunch of totals, go:
Select F4 Select F4 Select F4 Select F4 ...

(If you do anything in between, you have to do the preparation again.)