-   -   How to set cell to a comment from another cell? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/46496-how-set-cell-comment-another-cell.html)

Pete at Sappi Fine Paper

How to set cell to a comment from another cell?

How do I make one cell equal to the comment in another cell? One would think
that =comment(A1) would do it, but of course it doesn't. Can anyone help?

Gary L Brown

You need a UDF (User Defined Function). Copy the UDF below...
'/=======================================/
Public Function Comment(rng As Range)
'rng must point to a single cell
'Get Text in a comment of one (1) cell
Application.Volatile

On Error GoTo err_Function

Comment = rng.Comment.Text

exit_Function:
On Error Resume Next
Exit Function

err_Function:
GoTo exit_Function

End Function
'/=======================================/
HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''''Yes'''' button next to
''''Was this Post Helpfull to you?".

"Pete at Sappi Fine Paper" wrote:

How do I make one cell equal to the comment in another cell? One would think
that =comment(A1) would do it, but of course it doesn't. Can anyone help?

Pete at Sappi Fine Paper

Thanks! I actually wrote a program to populate all the cells in my sheet
with the comments in the cells on another sheet, and now that I've written it
I might as well stick with it. However, now that you've taught me how to use
UDFs, I'll no doubt do so frequently in future! Thanks very much!