-   -   Weeknum function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/46348-weeknum-function.html)

madhatter_scfc

Weeknum function

I've been creating a spreadsheet that takes figures from specific dates
and summarises into weeks and came accross this problem..
E.g.

=WEEKNUM("20/9/2005")
returns '39'.. it is however week 38!

However, using dates from last year e.g.
=weeknum("14/10/2004")
it returns the correct week 42.

Is it me or is this a bug?... i've tried looking for some sort of patch
but no joy!

--
madhatter_scfc
madhatter_scfc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27255

swatsp0p

I think you forgot about Jan 1, 2005. Being on a Saturday, that counts
as week 1. Jan. 2 becomes week 2... Sept 20 is in week 39.

Enter those dates and use your formula on them to see.

Also, WEEKNUM has a parameter to determine if your weeks begin on
Sunday (1) or on Monday (2). e.g. =WEEKNUM(C18,2) means weeks begin on
Monday.

Won't change Sept. 20's week, though, as that is a Tuesday.

HTH

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=469294

Bob Phillips

You mean ISO week number

=INT((B4-DATE(YEAR(B4-WEEKDAY(B4-1)+4),1,3)+WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(B4-WEEKDAY(B4-
1)+4),1,3))+5)/7)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"madhatter_scfc"
<madhatter_scfc.1vobic_1127246705.9655@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:madhatter_scfc.1vobic_1127246705.9655@excelfo rum-nospam.com...

I've been creating a spreadsheet that takes figures from specific dates
and summarises into weeks and came accross this problem..
E.g.

=WEEKNUM("20/9/2005")
returns '39'.. it is however week 38!

However, using dates from last year e.g.
=weeknum("14/10/2004")
it returns the correct week 42.

Is it me or is this a bug?... i've tried looking for some sort of patch
but no joy!

--
madhatter_scfc
madhatter_scfc's Profile: