-   -   comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/46151-comparing-2-similar-columns-seperate-work-sheets-1-workbook.html)

Dan

comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook

How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the
same work book?

Dan

BTW, the cell my have a number or text in it but not formulas

"Dan" wrote:

How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the
same work book?

Dave Peterson

What are you looking for?

If you want to find out if each cell in Column A of sheet1 appears in column A
of sheet2, you could use a helper column of formulas:

=isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0))
and drag down

And you could use the same kind of formula that will tell you if values in
sheet2 appear in sheet1.

Chip Pearson has lots of info about working with duplicates at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

--

Dave Peterson

Dan

Does that do a random search of the other column for the number, or do you
have to just compare cell to cell?

Dan wrote:

How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the
same work book?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

It looks for the value in A1 anywhere in sheet2, column A.

It's a sequential search through column A, but once a match is found, it stops
looking. But all that stuff is taken care of by excel.

You don't have to compare A1 with sheet2!a1, then A1 with sheet2!a2, then with
sheet2!a3, ....

(I'm not quite sure if this answered your question, though.)