-   -   Months or Years remaining, formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/46077-months-years-remaining-formatting.html)

James C

Months or Years remaining, formatting

Hello all.

=(A1-(NOW()))/365

The above formula gives me years remaining as "X.XX YEARS" (currently I
have the cell formatted as 0.0" years"; )

This is a two-part question:
(a) FORMULA CHANGE: I want to change the formula so that the result is
the same, UNLESS [LESS THAN 1 YEAR], THEN "X.XX MONTHS"

(b) FORMATTING METHOD: should i set up a conditional formatting
solution, or can I just do this all in one in-cell formula?

Any help would be much apprecieted.

- Jim

--
James C
James C's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12114

swatsp0p

Hi James.

First, Cond. Formatting will not allow you to change the Number format.
Only things like font, border and fill patterns can be set via CF.

Try this: (format your output cell as General)

=IF((A1-NOW())/365<1,ROUND(((A1-NOW())/365)*12,2)&"
Months",ROUND(((A1-NOW())/365),2)&" Years")

A1=01 July 2006
Now()=19 Sept 2005
result= "9.35 Months"

Does this meet your needs?

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=468843

Sandy Mann

Try:

=DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y") & " Years " & DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"ym") & " Months"

DATEDIF is only documented in XL2000 Help but Chip Pearson has a page on his
website about it:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

--
HTH

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

"James C" wrote in
message ...

Hello all.

=(A1-(NOW()))/365

The above formula gives me years remaining as "X.XX YEARS" (currently I
have the cell formatted as 0.0" years"; )

This is a two-part question:
(a) FORMULA CHANGE: I want to change the formula so that the result is
the same, UNLESS [LESS THAN 1 YEAR], THEN "X.XX MONTHS"

(b) FORMATTING METHOD: should i set up a conditional formatting
solution, or can I just do this all in one in-cell formula?

Any help would be much apprecieted.

- Jim

--
James C
James C's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=468843

James C

Dear Swat and Sandy,

Thanx much to you both. Swat's worked perfectly. Sandy yours is a nice
idea but I have not implemented it as my problem was already solved.
Made a note of it for future reference.

Best Regards,
- James