-   -   Changing Font Characteristics Within a Formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/45416-changing-font-characteristics-within-formula.html)

jdurrmsu

Changing Font Characteristics Within a Formula

How do I change the font color and make it bold within a formula? I am
trying to link two different cells with text in them to one cell and I
would like to have the color and font weight changed for just one of
the links. For example...

A1=1
A2=2

I want B1 to show 1(black normal font), 2(red bold font)

Thanks.

--
jdurrmsu
jdurrmsu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27122

Gary''s Student

What you want is called Conditional Formatting. See Excel Help.
--
Gary''s Student

"jdurrmsu" wrote:

How do I change the font color and make it bold within a formula? I am
trying to link two different cells with text in them to one cell and I
would like to have the color and font weight changed for just one of
the links. For example...

A1=1
A2=2

I want B1 to show 1(black normal font), 2(red bold font)

Thanks.

--
jdurrmsu
jdurrmsu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27122
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=467599

Dave Peterson

Formulas don't support that type of formatting--and neither do real numbers.

Only Text supports it.

jdurrmsu wrote:

How do I change the font color and make it bold within a formula? I am
trying to link two different cells with text in them to one cell and I
would like to have the color and font weight changed for just one of
the links. For example...

A1=1
A2=2

I want B1 to show 1(black normal font), 2(red bold font)

Thanks.

--
jdurrmsu
jdurrmsu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27122
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=467599

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

Formulas can only return values, including text, but cannot change formatting
of those values.

After returning the value with a formula you could copy and paste
specialvalue then manually edit the result in the formula bar.

Or you could use VBA to achieve the same result.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP