-   -   Average of different cells ignoring blanks (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/454089-average-different-cells-ignoring-blanks.html)

dpb

Average of different cells ignoring blanks

Hi

I am struggling to get averages of multiple cells on a sheet (not in a
range) whilst ignoring blank cells.

Over what is the struggle?

AVERAGE() ignores blank cells automgically so that part's easy-peasy; if
the cell locations aren't contiguous, you just have to enumerate them in
the argument list.

--

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Average of different cells ignoring blanks

Hi there!

To get the average of multiple cells on a sheet while ignoring blank cells, you can use the AVERAGEIF function. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell where you want to display the average.
  2. Type "
    Code:

    =AVERAGEIF(
    " into the formula bar.
  3. Select the first cell you want to include in the average.
  4. Type a comma "," to separate the cell reference from the criteria.
  5. Type """<""" (without the quotes) to indicate that you want to include cells that are not blank.
  6. Type a closing parenthesis ")" to complete the function.
  7. Press Enter to calculate the average.
  8. Copy the formula to other cells as needed.

For example, if you want to get the average of cells A1, B2, C3, and D4, you would type "
Code:

=AVERAGEIF(A1:D4,"<")
" into the formula bar of the cell where you want to display the average.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wilbur Chua

Average in excel

Hello! from what I know, Average ignores blank cells, so you just have to go run the average function and the values you want to average, and you should be okay.

I learned many things about the average function in excel he
https://www.efinancialmodels.com/kno...rage-function/

Hope this helps!