-   -   Average of different cells ignoring blanks (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/454087-average-different-cells-ignoring-blanks.html)

Craig Pyle

Average of different cells ignoring blanks

Hi

I am struggling to get averages of multiple cells on a sheet (not in a range) whilst ignoring blank cells.

Can anyone assist please?

dpb

On 5/15/2018 10:44 AM, Craig Pyle wrote:
Hi

I am struggling to get averages of multiple cells on a sheet (not in
a range) whilst ignoring blank cells.

Try again; see if link to poster's Q? not broke this time--

AVERAGE() ignores blank cells automgically so that part's easy-peasy; if
the cell locations aren't contiguous, you just have to enumerate them in
the argument list

Same true for the alternate sheets; presuming the number/name is fixed,
then just use 3D reference and go on...not, perhaps, the best way to
organize the workbook, but we don't have enough info to be able to help
in that regards.

--

Craig Pyle

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 9:27:43 PM UTC+2, dpb wrote:
On 5/15/2018 10:44 AM, Craig Pyle wrote:
Hi

I am struggling to get averages of multiple cells on a sheet (not in
a range) whilst ignoring blank cells.

Try again; see if link to poster's Q? not broke this time--

AVERAGE() ignores blank cells automgically so that part's easy-peasy; if
the cell locations aren't contiguous, you just have to enumerate them in
the argument list

Same true for the alternate sheets; presuming the number/name is fixed,
then just use 3D reference and go on...not, perhaps, the best way to
organize the workbook, but we don't have enough info to be able to help
in that regards.

--

Hi dbd

Thank you for your assistance and apologies, here is more info. We clean items for an industry with lasers that are made up of millions of tiny cells which we measure the depth of before and after cleaning in microns. This sheet provides clients with details of their history to help us get to the correct cleaning cycle for their benefit.

Each sheet covers a year's work (broken down into months) with depth before, depth after, the difference and the percentage the cells were open before cleaning. To total each month I use the following:

Before =AVERAGEIF(E7:E59;"0";E7:E59
After =AVERAGEIF(F7:F59;"0";F7:F59)
Difference =IFERROR(F60-E60;0)
Percentage Difference =IFERROR(E60/F60;0)

We mostly don't clean every month so where I'm struggling is with the Average taken across each sheet for all the above only for the months cleaned, and then again taking the average totals of all the past sheets to date.

As its a sheet for clients to view I have unchecked the show zero's and hide the #DIV/0

Does that help you understand my problem?

dpb

On 5/16/2018 3:35 AM, Craig Pyle wrote:
[...]

Probably better workbook organization to have sheet for every month;
leave the data entry blank for months without activity for which the
AVERAGE() function will correctly calculate averages of those cells with
data without doing anything special.

=AVERAGE(Jan:Dec!F60)

should do it methinks. For convenience in reference elsewhere, create a
name for the 3D reference to use...

<https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-3-d-reference-to-the-same-cell-range-on-multiple-worksheets-40ca91ff-9dcb-4ad1-99d2-787d0bc888b6#bmcreate_a_name_for_a_3_d_reference

--

Simon Woodward

On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 03:44:23 UTC+12, Craig Pyle wrote:
Hi

I am struggling to get averages of multiple cells on a sheet (not in a range) whilst ignoring blank cells.

Can anyone assist please?

Excel is not very friendly when you start splitting your data into multiple tables. I would make a "Totals" sheets where I collect the sums and counts from each sheet. You can then calculate the overall averages from these.