-   -   when adding a column the answer turns to zero (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/451269-when-adding-column-answer-turns-zero.html)

Julia Strupiechowska

when adding a column the answer turns to zero

when i try to sum a column up the answer turns to zero. I think this is because it think that the figures are text however im unable to change them back to number.
things ive tries: checking calculations are automatic, converting back to numbers by copying a cell with figure 0, selecting my column and paste special, value, add. These two methods do not work and im terribly frustrated and want this sorted out fast. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks.

Claus Busch

when adding a column the answer turns to zero

Hi Julia,

Am Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:20:49 +0000 schrieb Julia Strupiechowska:

when i try to sum a column up the answer turns to zero. I think this is
because it think that the figures are text however im unable to change
them back to number.
things ive tries: checking calculations are automatic, converting back
to numbers by copying a cell with figure 0, selecting my column and
paste special, value, add.

select your numbers = Format cells = Format as General or Number =
Data = Text to Columns = Fixed Width = Finish

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional

Kevin@Radstock

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia Strupiechowska (Post 1622855)
when i try to sum a column up the answer turns to zero. I think this is because it think that the figures are text however im unable to change them back to number.
things ive tries: checking calculations are automatic, converting back to numbers by copying a cell with figure 0, selecting my column and paste special, value, add. These two methods do not work and im terribly frustrated and want this sorted out fast. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks.

Assuming the data is in A1:A10

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10)+0)

Or convert the cells to numbers. Put a number 1 in a blank cell and copy, select all the cells with the numbers as text, right click, paste special and multiply.

Kevin