-   -   Formatting AlphaNumeric string in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/450418-formatting-alphanumeric-string-cell.html)

RHDC

Formatting AlphaNumeric string in a cell

Is there a way similar to the Number custom format to break up an alpha numeric string with periods? For example, make 1422D21200 read as 14.22D2.1200.66014.0000.0000.0000

Dave O

Formatting AlphaNumeric string in a cell

Yes, there is absolutely a way to do it, but the answer depends on your source data. Are those long alpha numeric strings *always* the same length, and do the periods *always* appear in the same place, or does it vary?

RHDC

They end up being the same length with periods in the same spot, i.e. ##.####.#### is the format I need the strings to be put into, but the data I'm working with does not always have them the same length as a starting point. Not sure if that answers the question.

Thanks