-   -   How do i insert a simple checkable box (<2.57 columng width)? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/45006-how-do-i-insert-simple-checkable-box-%3C2-57-columng-width.html)

LostinKtown

How do i insert a simple checkable box (<2.57 columng width)?

I just want to be able to insert a simple checkable box in a thin column so i
can keep track of items that have been submitted. I'm using excel, is there
any easy way, that help thing sucks!

Thanks

Jonibenj

How about this:

Set your column to, say, 15 pixels, and set the font on Common Bullets
for the whole column. Use the [ or ] keys to produce a tick or a tick
in a checkbox, whichever you prefer. You can then set the size or
bolding, depending on how prominant you want the ticks.

Jonathan

--
Jonibenj
Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17048

Anne Troy

Use the checkbox on the Forms toolbar. :)
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"LostinKtown" wrote in message
I just want to be able to insert a simple checkable box in a thin column so
can keep track of items that have been submitted. I'm using excel, is
there
any easy way, that help thing sucks!

Thanks

Dave Peterson

How about another option?

Format your column of cells in a nice way:
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

LostinKtown wrote:

I just want to be able to insert a simple checkable box in a thin column so i
can keep track of items that have been submitted. I'm using excel, is there
any easy way, that help thing sucks!

Thanks

Dave Peterson

Jonibenj

Say Dave, that's good! I never thought of that one!
Jonathan

--
Jonibenj
Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17048
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466946

Jonibenj

Yes Anne, this is also a good option, but you have to copy it down the
column into every cell. However, it definitely is easier to click a
checkbox!

Jonathan